What is the most efficient, stress-free way to pack your clothes for a move? Here…
After closing on a new home, you need to know how to fold clothes for packing so you can move in smoothly with a ready-to-go wardrobe. You can avoid wrinkles and save space in your suitcases and luggage by learning a few new ways to fold, roll, and bundle your clothing. Keep reading to learn more about how to fold clothes small for packing.
Best Way to Fold Clothes for Packing
The best way to fold clothes for packing will help minimize wrinkling and creasing while saving space in your luggage. You can learn how to tightly pack clothes into your favorite suitcases and carry-ons for an easier moving experience but utilizing the following techniques:
For the best results while folding clothes for traveling, you can mix and match your methods to save as much space as possible without busting the zippers on your favorite cases.
Learn how to fold clothes to save space when packing with the tips below.
How to Fold Clothes in a Suitcase
Here, you will learn how to fold clothes in a suitcase and how this packing method builds your items upwards to give space on the sides. The best way to fold clothes in a suitcase is to follow these general steps:
- Fasten all buttons and zippers
- Lay the item out to begin folding it into a thin rectangle
- Try to match hems for more even folds
This method of packing clothing is ideal for those that intend to unpack their items immediately due to the higher chance of creasing.
How to Pack Compactly by Rolling
If you need to know how to fold clothes for packing and how to pack compactly, so you don’t overpack your suitcase, you can try rolling your items. There are quite a few recommendations for rolling clothing, including:
- Roll items that are smaller and more delicate for best results
- Fold clothing into long, narrow rectangles before rolling to maximize uniformity
- Use folds at one end to hold the roll securely during transportation
This method of packing for a move is ideal for things like t-shirts, undergarments, and more delicate items. You might be able to roll some bulkier items like windbreakers, but things like these are often better off in a garment bag or a compression pack.
How to Bundle Clothing for a Move
When you need to know how to fold clothes to fit in a suitcase and how to tightly pack clothes for certain outfits together, you can explore the bundling method. The steps for bundling include the following:
- Begin with large items at the bottom, like sweaters and jackets.
- Layer smaller things like shirts, pants, and toiletries over the bottom layer in a cross pattern.
- Start rolling and folding the items on the top toward the center and wrapping these inner portions with the items below them.
- Finish the pack by wrapping the outermost clothing around the bundle.
This tactic can create useful bundles of items that maximize your use of space in your backpack or suitcase. However, you might find it difficult to reach particular outfits deep inside the packed bundle.
Alternative Options for Folding Clothes for Suitcases
You might be curious about some of the other options when it comes to toting your favorite clothing with you. You will also need to know how each type of clothing container can benefit from a different folding and packing method to help you move more efficiently.
What types of containers should you know about for a move? If a suitcase seems too bulky for your move or you want to explore other options to transport your wardrobe safely, you might consider the following:
- A backpack — Great for rolls and bundles of clothing
- Packing folders — Ideal for folding garments neatly
- Packing cubes — Allows you to roll or fold clothing as necessary
- Garment bags — Don’t require rolling or folding and provide protection
You can even try a compression method for bulky items like sweaters and jackets to minimize the amount of space you need to use. Compression packing allows you to pack a special vacuum bag full of your clothing before sealing and removing the air from the bag to give you up to three times more room in your luggage.
Folding clothes for packing when traveling or moving can be easier than you might think. These tips on how to fold clothes for packing will help you prepare for your journey, no matter the destination. Call On The Go Moving and Storage for more information about moving and storage services.